Public Affairs and Media Queries
The Public Affairs Office provides the following:
The Public Affairs Office serves as the initial contact for reporters, producers, and other media representatives seeking information about the Milwaukee VA Medical Center or wishing to interview faculty and staff experts. This office functions as the Milwaukee VA's news bureau, serving as the primary source of information about the institution, patient care, staff and staff collaboration, awards, reviews, accreditations, medical and research advances, environmental safety, and technological advances.
We will make every effort to accommodate all media queries and interview requests, within reason. We ask all media representatives to adhere to the following guidelines:
• Call the Public Affairs Office at 414-382-5363 or 414-389-4009 to arrange all interviews. After hours, please call 414-405-3652. We will respond as quickly as we can.
• A PA staff member must accompany all film crews and photographers while on campus. Our main priority is patient privacy and adherence to HIPPA regulations. We also want to make sure you get the information you are looking for and coordinate shoot locations and ensure interviews go smoothly.
• Photography and videotaping in patient areas is forbidden without prior approval from the Public Affairs Officer or designated representative. Prior to any patient photography in a medical area, the PAO or designated representative must announce that filming is taking place.
• Photography and videotaping of patients that would identify them as such is forbidden without prior approval from the patient and Public Affairs Officer or designated representative.
• Media must wear news credential identification.
• Media must never identify themselves as working for or representing the VA Medical Center or Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Media must respect the wishes of patients and others on the campus who wish not to be photographed, videotaped or interviewed.
• Media must follow all laws and not impede traffic or medical assistance in any manner. Media must obey all rules from VA police and other designated officials.
• During public events, the Public Affairs Office may establish a media area so as not to intrude on the ceremony or event. Media who do not remain in that area may receive a “Trespassing” ticket from VA police.
Our monthly news magazine, 5000 West, is created for Employees, patients and Veterans of our medical center and outpatient clinics. If you have a story or photo for 5000 West, please call 414-382-5363.
Click below for recent publications:December 2012March/April 2012