Milwaukee VA Medical Center
Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Post-Graduate Residency Program
The Zablocki VA Medical Center offers a 12-month-long clinical and didactic education program focusing on adult emergency medicine designed to produce highly competent emergency medicine physician assistants. It offers advanced training and experience in both high acuity and low acuity patient settings. The experience and skills gained through this program will enhance your confidence in clinical practice and marketability for future career opportunities. Upon completion of this program, you should have confidence in initial management of critically ill patients, urgent care patient management and advanced procedural skills. It will also prepare you for the NCCPA CAQ emergency medicine exam in the future. This program offers a competitive stipend for your one year of training, two weeks paid vacation, sick leave, and options for health, dental and life insurance. Two residents will be accepted for this program annually.
Application Deadline: Feb. 2, 2021
About: The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) is the largest integrated health care system in the United States, providing care at 1,250 health care facilities, including 172 VA Medical Centers and 1,069 outpatient sites of care of varying complexity (VHA outpatient clinics) to over 9 million Veterans enrolled in the VA health care program.
VHA Mission: Honor America’s Veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well-being.
VHA Vision: VHA will continue to be the benchmark of excellence and value in health care and benefits by providing exemplary services that are both patient centered and evidence based.
- One-year commitment: Aug. 2, 2021 – July 31, 2022 (dates approximate based on graduation dates of accepted PA residents)
- Highly integrated with well-established Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin Emergency Medicine Physician Residency curriculum
- Dedicated simulation and procedure sessions (every Thursday)
- Diverse faculty from multiple hospitals within the area with interests including sports medicine, ultrasound, toxicology, quality and more
- Scrubs and white coats provided
- Federal employee status
- Hiring preference within the VA system upon completion of residency
- Two residents selected per year
Post Graduate Residency Program Rotations
- Adult Emergency Medicine
- ICU/Critical Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Trauma Surgery
- Clement J. Zablocki Medical Center: 196-acute care bed 1A facility servicing 64,000 patients with over 818,000 outpatient visits in FY 17
- Froedtert Hospital: An adult academic center that delivers advanced medical care through 37 specialties and is a 585-bed level I trauma center with an average of 3,400 trauma patients and 72,000 emergency department visits. www.froedtert.com/about
(to be completed before start of program)
- U.S. Citizen
- Graduate of an ARC-PA accredited program
- Current BLS and ACLS certification
- Completed application form including resume/curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendations: Emailed or mailed directly to Program Director Carolyn Krech PA-C at firstname.lastname@example.org and Medical Director Dr. Edward Callahan at email@example.com.
- Personal Essay
- Physician Assistant School Transcripts sent to:
Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center
Attn: Carolyn Krech PA-C
5000 W. National Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53295
- Start Date for Submission of Applications: Nov. 1, 2020
- Application Deadline: Feb. 2, 2021
- Contingent offers for residency will be extended no later than March 26, 2021
- Residency Start Date: Approx. Aug. 2, 2021
- Residency End Date: Approx. July 31, 2022
NOTE: Start and end dates contingent on when residents graduate from PA School.
- Click on the link below and electronically fill out the application
- Print and sign the application and email a PDF of the completed application, along with other application materials (CV, personal essay, ACLS/BLS certification documentation), to firstname.lastname@example.org and Medical Director Dr. Edward Callahan at email@example.com
- Application: www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850d-fill.pdf
- Hiring preference for new graduates
Policy Regarding Physician Assistant Resident Candidate Preferences