Milwaukee VA Medical Center
The Milwaukee VA Fisher House provides a“home away from home,” allowing Veteran’s families to be together during extended treatments or hospitalizations.
The home, which opened in 2016, is a 13,000-square-foot facility with 16 private guest suites. Each room is professionally decorated and beautifully furnished. In addition to private bedrooms with a private adjoining bathroom, the house includes a fully-equipped shared kitchen for families and caregivers to use during their stay.
The house also provides:
- A spacious common dining room
- Inviting family room and living room
- Laundry facilities
- In-room phone and TV/DVD player
- Guest Wi-Fi
Some food items are donated by the community, but guests are encouraged to bring their own food. Private food storage space is provided.
Support staff and volunteers are available to answer questions.
Who is eligible to stay?
- Guests may be family members or caregivers of Veterans who are hospitalized at the Zablocki VAMC.
- Guests must live more than 50 miles away from the Medical Center.
- Guests must be self-sufficient and able to care for themselves independently or be accompanied
by a caregiver.
- Guests must be able to stay in an unsupervised setting and follow all house rules.
- There is no fee for families staying at the Fisher House.
A VA Social Worker or Case Manager will conduct an initial screening with the Veteran to determine if a referral to Fisher House is appropriate.
The Fisher House manager will determine eligibility and advise the family on the status of the referral and of room availability. Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information, contact:
Jennifer Kiefer - Fisher House Manager
414-384-2000 or (toll-free 1-888-469-6614) - ext. 45005 or 45006
For more information about how you can help the Milwaukee VA Fisher House contact: Voluntary Service Office 414-384-2000 (toll-free 1-888-469-6614) extension 41803
West of Lake Wheeler
Hours of Operation
- Always open