Milwaukee VA Medical Center
Hoptel is a VA program designed to provide temporary, overnight lodging accommodations to eligible Veterans, such as non-VA lodging- motel/hotel.
Hoptel provides easier access to medical care for Veterans traveling a distance of 50 miles or more away.
A stay in Hoptel is not an inpatient admission; therefore nursing and caregiver assistance is not available.
The Milwaukee VAMC Hoptel temporary lodging program has a total of 24 beds (11 rooms to be shared among two people and two rooms that are single/private rooms which are assigned based on need).
This is a free service to all eligible Veterans. Please notify your provider or clinic when you think you will need Hoptel lodging. A referral to Hoptel is generated through your provider.
Facebook video of remodeled Hoptel open house, Aug. 24, 2018
Who is eligible to stay?
- Veterans must be independent with all cares and clinically stable. Veterans can be accompanied by one caregiver able to provide the necessary care.
- Veterans must live more than 50 miles from the VAMC
- Time of the appointment or procedure necessitates an overnight stay
- Unavailability of transportation necessitates overnight stay
As you prepare for your Hoptel lodging stay, please note the following:
- Be sure to have your provider enter a Hoptel referral. We have a limited number of beds and a reservation is necessary to ensure you will have a room available.
- Our Hoptel is located in the A-wing of Building 123, which is west of the main hospital. The Hoptel door is located on the west side of Building 123 on S. Washington Drive.
- Parking is available in Visitor Lot 2 on the east side of the main hospital. Shuttle service to building 123 is available from the main hospital.
- Our Hoptel lodging program does not provide meals, however the Hoptel kitchen is generously supplied with donated food items. Each guest suite is equipped with a personal refrigerator. Lodgers also have access to a kitchen with a microwave and small cooking appliances.
- Please bring food with you or plan to purchase meals in our VA canteen or local restaurants. The Hoptel staff can provide information about the hours and delivery options of various restaurants in the area.
- Hoptel check-in is from 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m Sunday – Thursday in room A104 of Building 123. If you are not able to arrive by 7:30 p.m., you will need to check in at the AOD office in the main hospital.
Please call us if you have a reservation but no longer need to stay in the Hoptel, so we can offer the room to another Veteran.
414-384-2000 (or toll-free 1-888-469-6614)
Hoptel Coordinator: extension 41136
Hospital AOD Office (after 7:30 p.m.): extension 42038
Milwaukee VA Medical Center
5000 W. National Ave
Building 123, A-wing
West of the main hospital
- 414-384-2000 Ext. 41136
- 414-384-2000 Ext. 42038
Hours of Operation
7 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
after 7:30 p.m.