Homeless Prevention - Milwaukee VA Medical Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Milwaukee VA Medical Center


Homeless Prevention

  • Housing Urban Development / Veterans Affairs Supporting Housing
    Milwaukee VA Medical Center
    414-384-2000, ext. 45996
  • Veterans Justice Outreach 
    Milwaukee VA Medical Center
    414-384-2000, ext. 44521
  • Community Resource & Referral Center
    1818 N. Martin Luther King Drive 
  • G & PD – Grant & Per Diem Transition Housing for Homeless Veterans – Vets Place Central -- The Grant and Per Diem Program offers housing for homeless Veterans at several locations in Eastern Wisconsin.  These include transitional housing for men, women, and women Veterans with children.  Transition In Place is a specialized program that allows a Veteran and family to enter an apartment and be able to transition into permanent housing by assuming the lease on the occupied unit.
    3330 W. Wells St.


1. What does the VA’s homeless prevention program consist of?

The Milwaukee VA Medical Center’s Homeless Programs provide individualized, comprehensive care to Veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Here is a list of many of our services:

Health Care for Homeless Veterans -- VA staff provides outreach, engagement and treatment as well as Contract Transitional Housing

Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program – in partnership with not-for-profit organizations and governmental agencies, this program offers transitional housing to Veterans who are homeless

Dental Care for Homeless Veterans -- There is some limited eligibility for dental care for Veterans who are in certain VA -- sponsored rehabilitation programs.

HUD/VA Supportive Housing – in collaboration with US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) the HUD/VASH program offers permanent housing to eligible Veterans

Health Care for Reentry Veterans – assistance to incarcerated Veterans leaving prison

Veterans Justice Outreach – offers treatment as an alternative to prevent the unnecessary incarceration of justice-involved Veterans

Stand Down – a collaboration between VA and community agencies to provide access to concrete services and treatment

CHALENG – Community Homelessness Assessment, Local Education and Networking Groups engages Veterans and other concerned citizens in assessing the needs of homeless and at risk Veterans

Supportive Services to Veterans and Families (SSVF) – The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers grants to not-for-profit organizations to provide assistance to Veterans and their families for homelessness prevention and rapid re-housing.

For information on all these program, please call our local homeless outreach coordinator, Barbara Gilbert, at 414-384-2000, ext. 45966

2. Do you provide immediate housing for homeless Veterans?

Same-day housing is available weekdays with admission to a grant and per diem program or contract transitional housing.

3. I’m a Veteran living on the street, how do I qualify for this program?
You may be able to qualify for services if you served in the active military and were discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable. For some services, the period of military service may be as little as one day. To find out how to get help, you may:
Contact your local IMPACT 2-1-1 organization, which provides the means for people to take the first step toward regaining stability

a. Dial 2-1-1, if you are in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Kenosha, Racine, Ozaukee, Washington, Dodge, Jefferson or Walworth Counties.

i. Text your ZIP Code to TXT-211 (898-211)

ii. Visit the IMPACT 2-1-1 website: www.impactinc.org/impact-2-1-1

b. Call or go visit the nearest VA medical center or clinic: www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp?isflash=1

4. Access the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-424-3838, or Visit the website at http://www.va.gov/homeless/nationalcallcenter.asp

5. If someone homeless comes to you, what are the typical services you provide?

First we do an evaluation of need and see if treatment is needed. We offer referrals for housing, employment and other needed services or programs.

6. Do I need to be enrolled for VA care to participate in these programs?

Most programs require that a Veteran be enrolled and eligible for VA healthcare; however the VA has referral relationships with other community providers who may be able to offer the services you need if you are ineligible for VA health care.

7. Does the VA provide long-term housing? How much does it cost the Veteran?

Through VA’s collaboration with HUD, permanent housing (HUD/VASH) may be available to some Veterans. The cost of housing in this program is usually 30 percent of a Veteran’s income. There are other permanent housing programs that are offered by local public housing agencies and other community partners which are available to Veterans.

8. I can’t pay my mortgage or rent anymore and I’m about to be thrown out on the street. What can you do to help me?

You may contact the National Call Center at 1-877-424-3838 if you have a housing crisis. Someone will respond and determine availability.
If you have a VA-guaranteed loan, VA counselors at nine regional loan centers may help avoid foreclosure through counseling and special financing arrangements. The counselors also may assist other Veterans with financial problems. Depending on a veteran’s circumstances, VA can intercede with the borrower on the veteran’s behalf to pursue options: repayment plans, forbearance, and loan modifications. These would assist the Veteran’s home residence.

For help from a VA financial counselor, veterans can call VA toll-free at 1-877-827-3702. Information about VA’s home loan guaranty program can be obtained at www.homeloans.va.gov.

9. What if I am at risk of foreclosure on my home?

You may contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, by calling 1-800-569-4287 or TDD 1-800-877-8339 for the counseling agency nearest you.

10. Can you provide housing if I also have a substance abuse issue?

A “Housing First” approach is used to help Veterans to become stably housed while thinking about getting treatment. We will assist you in finding the resources that will meet your housing and treatment needs and preferences.

11. What if I have a prison record?

A Veteran’s legal history may sometimes make it harder to find housing. VA will work with you to find resources to address your housing needs.

12. Can you also provide housing for my children and family members?

The HUD/VASH program provides housing to the Veteran and family. In addition, Supportive Services to Veterans Families assists Veterans and their families in reaching goals of permanent, stable housing. In Milwaukee, a Grant and Per Diem provider offers housing to women with small children.

VA maintains referral relationships with other community providers who offer housing for children and family members.

13. Where can I get a warm meal and additional information?

There are meals sites located in numerous communities served by the Medical Center and its outpatient clinics. These may be found by contacting the local IMPACT 2-1-1 call center.

2-1-1 is a simple, free way to connect anyone in need with vital human services for everyday life or in crisis. By dialing 2-1-1 anywhere in the state of Wisconsin, people are linked to information about local resources, from both government and nonprofit organizations. From the single parent seeking food for their children to the senior citizen looking for in-home care, 2-1-1 brings people and community resources together.

14. Where are you located?

VA Homeless Programs staff is located in communities throughout eastern Wisconsin, and have office locations in Green Bay, Appleton, Milwaukee and Racine.

15. Are you obligated to give me housing since VA said it would eradicate Veteran homelessness within five years?

We are committed to helping to end Veteran homelessness by providing resources and housing options, but housing is not a guarantee. The VA works with numerous community and public housing agencies which offer resources for housing. If a Veteran lacks housing, the VA will work with you to find housing to meet your needs.

16. How far have we come in eradicating Veteran homelessness in the U.S. and, in particular, in southeast Wisconsin?

A November 2013, from the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, there wasa 24 percent reduction in homelessness among Veterans since 2010. Similar declines in Veteran homelessness have been experienced in Southeast Wisconsin.

17. How do you find homeless Veterans? Do you wait for them to come to you, or do you go out and find them?

VA staff conducts extensive outreach in urban, suburban, and rural communities in eastern Wisconsin. These outreach efforts include visits to: meal sites, streets, shelters, encampments, police ride-alongs, and other locations not suitable for human habitation if homeless individuals are likely to be found.

VA staff also reaches out to Veterans incarcerated in state or federal prisons at risk of homelessness. http://justiceforvets.org

18. What if I know of a homeless Veteran, should I refer the person to your office?

You may encourage the Veteran to make the call to 1-877-424-3838 or the Veteran may contact VA health care representative to make a referral to the Homeless Programs.

19. What if the homeless Veteran received less than an honorable discharge?

The Veteran should be encouraged to seek assistance anyway. It may be possible for a Veteran to obtain a discharge upgrade. If VA services are not available, a referral will be made to non-VA community providers

20. What if I’m a homeless Veteran but I don’t want housing? I just want some clean clothes and a warm meal. Will you provide it?

We will work with you to determine what your needs are and when you are ready for more assistance. Referrals to community agencies may be made and VA staff will stay in touch with you to further evaluate when you are ready to think about, and plan for, housing.

21. What if you provide me low-cost housing and I still can’t afford it?

Every effort will be made to help you establish an income so that housing can become affordable.

22. If I am homeless or just in danger of losing my house, is there one phone number I can call that will help? What services will they provide?

The National Call Center at 1-877-424-3838 will give you access to someone to help sort out your needs and how to get the needed help.

23. I would like to help with your homeless outreach as a volunteer. Do you have any positions like that? How can I help?

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, contact Voluntary Service at Milwaukee VA Medical Center, 414-384-2000, ext. 41803

24. What additional web sites, phone numbers and resources should I be aware of?

a. National Call Center for Homeless Veterans

i. http://vaww1.va.gov/HOMELESS/index.asp

ii. 1-877-424-3838

b. Veterans Crisis Line

i. http://veteranscrisisline.net/

ii. 1-800-273-8255

iii. http://veteranscrisisline.net/Chat

25. Is there anything else I should know?

In the fall of 2014, a Community Resource and Referral Center opened at 1818 North Martin Luther King Drive in Milwaukee. CRRC is strategically located in Milwaukee providing "one-stop-shopping" to serve homeless, at-risk Veterans and their families.

The CRRC has been established in collaboration with local community-based homeless providers and other federal and state partners that provide services to persons who are homeless or at-risk.

VA is working with these partners who are co-located at the CRRC site offering services: outreach and engagement, clinical care management, vocational services, financial benefits, and immediate access to primary/behavioral healthcare treatment, shelter, residential care, and housing services.